Monday 18 January 2010

Clinical Depression ENFP

When I say depressed, I mean it in the literal sense. Depression, it can strike anyone, and even if ENFP's seem happy go lucky 24/7, they've got a dark side too. More often than not it will not come out because of the ENFP nature to always look on the bright side, but given a bad enough situation and a smack into reality, these are the stages of what a depressed ENFP will go through.

Stage One: ENFP will start feeling a bit lonely and disconnected. They will think it's just a stage that will pass, and will try to ignore it.

Stage Two: The ENFP will start feeling even more lonely, this can usually be brought about by having a hard time with family or feeling like they are insecure in their relationships in general. Stage One increases, and the ENFP will start feeling anxious.

Stage Three: The ENFP's feeling of anxiousness will become overbearing, and they may feel extremely insecure when talking to other people. They lose the quick wit and charm they used to have. The smile will because more nervous and the laugh will become less natural. They will still be trying to convince themselves it;s just a stage that they are going through and that nothing is wrong.

Stage Four: ENFP will most likely hit shut down mode. They will not talk to other people about their feelings or what is going on unless asked specific, prying questions. They will have a really hard time talking to people and feeling like they can relate. They will start coming across as an introvert.

Stage Five: The ENFP will be extremely stressed, lonely, and emotional. May start bursting out randomly and be extremely moody. Will experience periods of highs and lows. The ENFP may start crying over something seemingly insignificant. They will do this because there is so much bottled feelings up inside and that may have been the last thing to set them off edge.

Stage Six: The ENFP will start lashing out at other people like above, but more extremely. Will most likely show complete and utter disregard for authority. They will also start hurting the people they care about, to make them back off and go away. All the while the ENFP, through the stages, will try to convince themselves that nothing is wrong and that they will get better, and thus the problem worsens.

Stage Seven: They will finally admit to themselves that there is a problem but try consciously to contradict it. They will try to force themselves to relax and be wonderful again. They will try to establish the facts- what the problems is, how it went wrong, and what to do.

Stage Eight: If it gets worse at this point, the ENFP will not be acting like themselves at all. They will not be thinking clearly, and will most likely suffer from being illogical, irrational, and as well may suffer from extremely headaches. They will give up on caring and will not pay attention to the world around them, instead focusing all of their energy into their inner world of what they feel and dwell on it. They will no longer have any motivation to care or do the things they love.

Stage Nine: Your ENFP will start enjoying dark humor ad freaking other people out for the hell of it, especially the people they care about. However, at this stage they will not do this too extremely to the people they care about because their is that small piece of the ENFP that wants to hold the relationship in tact. They will push you away and drag you back in, and become and emotional roller coaster for anyone and everyone around them. If you ask what is wrong, the ENFP will completely shoot you down unless it is in a structured environment and they think that you are somebody that they can trust. However at this point the ENFP will become extremely untrusting, so talking to them about anything is much like walking on fragile glass about to fall apart and break forever. The ENFP will hold grudges.

Stage Ten: Complete personality turnaround, the ENFP will have lost it, or will have appeared to. Complete emotional instability and recklessness. They will be completely and utterly impulsive to the point of stupidity. They will not care about their well being or anybody else's. At this point, the ENFP will be so far in their heads it will be nearly impossible to get through to them unless you sink to his or her own level of insanity and instability. They will have given up on life altogether, and will most likely have forgotten what it was like to really feel alive and well again.


http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-forum-inspirers/10708-10-stages-depressed-enfp.html
I've seen about 2 extremely unhealthy ENFP'd in my lifetime and this is what I have experienced. This is still in edit mode, basically a thesis, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I would like this to be as accurate as possible, and additional information would be great.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its scary how right on this is. It basically fits me to a T. Have you discovered what happens after stage 10 and if there is any hope for recovery and a restored self?

Perseus said...

Yep, I have got the scenario mapped out. If it is a true suicide case, there is no hope. The idea is to restore the self and (I find) most of all to avoid the destructive Others. Avoid SFs.

Specify type for the map to the cure. It may not be possible if you circumstances are not right, or may be delayed.

Perseus said...

I wrote a reply and then I lost it. The problem can be resolved. More later. But just don't listen to ISFP Cats. Chose your friends wisely.

Perseus said...

The comments do NOT seem to be showing. Test message.

Anonymous said...

very accurate... except i would put ur stage four as the last stage. or maybe it's only me. depression doesnt come out of a situation. if we lose our job, we can cope. if we get abandoned by someone for whom we worked so hard to maintain that relationship it's devastating. all your steps are correct,,, we try so so hard to stop a relationship that's going bad, even when it's really over we still try. we get furious, "did i get taken advantage of?" we get aggressive.. eventually when all is lost, it's complete shutdown. all our energy is gone. we lose our will to do anything. calling in sick, skipping meals.. total isolation

Perseus said...

I have found that ENFPs with Depression are surrounded by Guards SJ which are incompatible. Their advice is WRONG for the ENFP!

Guards SJ do not appreciate the opinion of the Other types and may get violent. They act like a pack of Dogs ISTJ led by a Bully ESTJ, Big Cat ESTP, Wolf ENTJ.

THe ENFP should heed advice from an ENFJ not married to a Cat ISFP.

Anemia said...

hello..I'm ENFP and I've had syptoms till stage 5.. you're the only one who seems to make any sense.. can you help me?

Anonymous said...

it is true how very closely accurate this is, I just recently realized that I am ENFP - never have heard of it before. I have been diagnosed with "clinical depression" for the last 8 months, but have experienced it off and on for the last 18 years and full blown non-stop for 6 yrs. I was in denial for quite awhile. All the medication the drs. have given work well for a few weeks and then just abruptly stop. I am completely disallusioned of anything ever really working and drs. are baffled. Upon reading your stages, I feel I am very close to reaching Stage 10, but not there yet. I have thought to myself, as recently as an hour ago, that if I could figure out a way to die without devestating my children's lives,( 3 - 9 yrs. and under)I would. I hope, in reality, I have more reason than that, to not do it - but don't really know. I have not slept for the last 36 hrs. (insomnia, due to the depression and a stomach virus, that's kicking my butt - I can't keep anything down, including my anti-depressants) A lot of info, I know - I apologize, I have always had a hard time "editing". Do you think, there is any "light at the end of the tunnel" for me? What is Guards SJ and Cats and others stand for? Thank-you for any answers you may have.

Perseus said...

I think you in the wrong place talking/being with all the wrong people. If you stop taking the pills (which don't work anyway)your stomach bug may go away. I did not sleep properly for three years. More later.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found this. The stages of depression you list have been true for me and I am ENFP. I've tested as ENFP many times over the years. This depression thing, however, is new territory. I've been "blue" or down for a little while but, this is different.

Anon wrote "get abandoned by someone for whom we worked so hard to maintain that relationship it's devastating." YES!! I have managed all kinds of life events but it was the betrayal of trust and the end of a 20 yr relationship that has devastated me. I still can't understand why I can't seem to find the energy to move out of this situation.

Are you still working on the Thesis? Can you direct me to more information? Do the antidepressants work? Because it's been suggested to me and I don't want to take them. ~ T.

Anonymous said...

I suggest finding a good naturopath over meds. It helped me restore balance and reverse the body 's response loop tied to anxiety and depression.

Perseus said...

It is difficult to tell the nuisance people "Just to Fuck Off". They tend to get violent.

Anonymous said...

Ι dоn't even know the way I stopped up right here, but I thought this put up was good. I do not recognize who you might be however definitely you'rе going to а
famous blogger when you aгеn't already. Cheers!
My page : What is Mental Health

Perseus said...

I did not write the original. This is not very clear. It ought to be. I can't remember my experiences any more. Too much has happened since, mainly in the material world.

Erik said...

Damn, that's sooooo recognizable! I took the myers Briggs test two years ago and found out I am a ENFP.
Never gave much thought to until I found the results I had apparently saved. Took the test again and I'm still an ENFP! :)

Is that surprising? Hmm...maybe, when I started the test I suspected things might have changed because little over 1,5 years ago I was so deeply depressed I was planning my suicide, addicted to weed, shut off from almost everyone around me and making debts constantly.
But apparently I made it :)

So I've just found that I'm a ENFP, again, and came across this article concerning depression. And it's just uncanny to recognize all the different stages, it's just THAT accurate....damn

So the important thing; what did I do?
Well, first of I tried to find a therapist. I started going to the university's counselor and she couldn't help me so I got stuck with shrink. What he basically did was just giving me a shitload of pills...but no real help..next to an institution..they wouldn't have because I'd get 'dependent of the situation'....and then I found the perfect therapist.
His name is Paul and a few things made him the perfect therapist for me;
1. He didn't follow some stupid systematic system.
--I've studied pschology and am aware of the clinical results revealing that a systematical approach works better in general, but not for me :D :P

2. He always made me feel that I knew exactly what to do, I just had to rediscover my way. (although at the time I was 100% sure I never knew the way and had always gone through life as an outcast, jumping from one difficult situation into the next)

3. He allowed me to challenge him.
Because I was well-introduced into psychology, psychological methods and in general because I believe I can often feel/perceive more then what can be proven on a base of undeniable fact, it was necessary for him to allow me to challenge what he had to say. Most of the times he had a perfectly logical answer, but sometimes I sparked a new idea. I noticed him getting inspired by whom I was and how I thought.

4. He was very direct at addressing moods/behaviours he sensed.
-- oh god, how I wish I had done that before with other therapist (also to immediately know they weren't fit for me).
Whenever I came in totally stressed out, aggressive or sad, he started (in a non-agressive way) talking about what he sensed and more over he asked me if I could relate. From there on we started our conversations.

5. Final one, i guess. He slowed me down.
--Sometimes he gave me a statement that I just couldn't give an answer to immediately. But more often he urged me to think about a few things he or I had said. Having an amazingly hyperactive brain he gave me some triggers. Whenever you are in the shower, everytime you get on your bike :) etc etc

So that's what he's like. I would like to think that more ENFP-depressed-persons could find good use in a therapist having those qualities.
1. He didn't follow a absolutely exact outlined system.
2. He made me feel like I had all the knowledge I needed.
3. He allowed me to challenge him
4. He was very direct at adressing moods/behaviours he sensed
5. He slowed me down

Furthermore he gave me some core ideas which, I think, might help a lot more people suffering of a depression. Those interested can mail me at white_mtnd@hotmail.com and I'll give you more information about the exact methods and trains of thought I used to overcome the greatest threats of depression.

Anonymous said...

I am an ENFP that made it to stage 10 and recovered. I won't pretend that I am the same person I was before I bottomed out (and it lasted years!) but I am getting there. I survived and you can to. Just don't give up.

Anonymous said...

Enfp here. Felt numb going on 2 years. Logically I know things will get better but I haven't felt anything in so long. My infj wife says I'm depressed. Went looking for info.. The ten stages and 5 recovery is helpful but I feel slightly too general. Can't seem to even find the enfp that uses to be there. Feel like a stranger in my own skin,in my own mind, not lonely, just empty. Lashing out and extremely moody... Beat the crap out of my face and bruised it all up... Dont know where to go from here....

Anonymous said...

How did you recover?